The prototype of the commemorative order “For Service in the Airborne Troops” was the Imperial Order of St. Equal to the Apostles Grand Duke Vladimir, established in 1782, which motto was: “Benefit, Honor and Glory.”
The Order is made of metal with enamel and gilt, in the form of an eight-pointed star, formed by two superposed four-pointed (rhombus) stars. Each of them consists of 32 beams coming from the centre of the sun.
In the middle of the star there is an additional medallion with a rim and a relief emblem of the Airborne Troops (VDV). On the rim of the emblem there is a golden-lettered inscription: in the blue field – “AIRBORNE TROOPS”, in the red field on the figured ribbon – “RUSSIA”.
On the reverse side the order has a screw with a nut for fastening it to the military uniform.
The emblem of the Russian Airborne Forces practically stays unchanged since 1955, and is a repetition of the Soviet emblem. It is a sign in the form of an opened parachute with a paratrooper and two airplanes, framed with oak branches.
The parachute with the airplanes on each side are the means of the troops’ delivery to the battlefield.
The oak wreath is a symbol of courage, strength, perseverance and valor, loyalty to service duty.
This emblem was abolished on May 6, 2005.