The coat of arms was approved on July 18, 1989.
There are silver gates between two fortress towers on the red shield of the coat of arms. Above there is a foundation date of the city – 1102. The extremity of the coat of arms is green. It shows the silver wavy lines – the symbol of the Berezina River. The coat of arms is edged with a narrow silver rim.
Two guard towers with two open gates between them symbolize resistance, inaccessibility and the way open for neighbourliness and trade relations.
Fastening is on a safety pin. The method of painting is cold enamel.
The pin was made in the USSR in the late 1980s, and has never been reproduced.
The distinctive features of the rarity original pin are the manufacturer’s unique mark and stamped price on the back of the pin. In the Soviet Union due to the absence of the freewheeling economy, goods prices had been fixed for the whole country.
The text stamped on the back of the pin “TZ 25 K” means “Price 25 kopecks.” In modern Russia one van buy nothing for this sum.
The pin is a valuable collector’s item.
Barysaw, population – 178,300 men (2011), is a city in Belarus situated near the Berezina River in the Minsk Voblast.
It was founded in 1102 by Prince Boris Vseslavovich of Polotsk. During the next two centuries it was burned and then rebuilt to the south of its original location.
Since the end of 13th century it belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1569 it was included in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, and in 1793, as a result of the Second Partition of Poland, Baysaw became a part of the Russian Empire.
The Patriotic War of 1812 left a deep trace in the history of the city. The Berezina River became the darkest page in the history of Napoleon’s wars. Units of Russian artillery battery remained in Barysaw. They stood on the right bank of the river on the day before Napoleon’s invasion.
During World War II, Barysaw was occupied by Nazi Germany fo almost 3 years (from July 2, 1941, to July 1, 1944), and most of the city was ruined. More than 33 thousand people were killed in six concentration camps built around the city. The Jews of the city were driven into the ghetto, and almost all were killed.
In the battles for Borisaw liberation in 1944 the troops of the 3rd Belorussian Front distinguished themselves in action, 13 military units were awarded with the honourable title “Barysaw”, 29 soldiers became Heroes of the Soviet Union. On the banner of the city there is the Order of the Patriotic War of the 1st rank.