“Cruiser Aurora” is a pin from the rare series “Revolutionary Ships”.
The series of the pins had been produced in 1987 by the 70th anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution in Russia.
It has never been reproduced.
At present the number of the pins is limited and is considered to be a valuable collection.
The pin is made of aluminum alloy with the safety pin fastening.
The method of painting is cold enamel.
“Aurora” is the cruiser that took part in the Russo-Japanese war, in the First and Second World Wars. She is one of the main symbols of the Great October Socialist Revolution. She was named after the sailing frigate Aurora which became famous after the defense of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski during the Crimean war. At present she is moored for eternity by the Petrograd shore in St. Petersburg and is an object of Russia’s cultural heritage.
On March 31, 1897, the Emperor Nicholas II ordered to rename the standing cruiser “Aurora” after the ancient Greek goddess of dawn. She was launched in 1900 and set out of the fleet in 1948. Since 1957 she is museum ship.
The significant event in the life of the ship, which put its name into history, has become a blank shot out of the ship weapons in order to make a signal for the storm of the Winter Palace in Petrograd (now St. Petersburg) and the beginning of the popular uprising. The image of the cruiser Aurora was put on the second by significance award of the Soviet Union – the Order of the October Revolution.