The pin is made of aluminum alloy with the safety pin fastening. The method of painting is cold enamel.
The pin represents a stylized image of a goldish roll of a sea chart with the contours of two hemispheres and a three-mastered ship with square sails and St. Andrew’s navy flag aft. The ship rides the waves from left to right. The text on the pin reads: “Sloop-of-War “Vostok”, 1819”.
The series of the pins “Russia Sets Sail” demonstrates glorious pages of the Russian sailing fleet and the Pioneering Ships of that age.
The series of the pins was produced in the USSR in the late eighties of the 20th century, and has never been reproduced.
At present the number of the pins is limited and is considered to be a valuable collection.
“Vostok” (East) was a 28-gun sloop-of-war of the Imperial Russian Navy, the flagship of the First Russian Antarctic Expedition in 1819-1821, during which Faddey Bellingshausen (the shipmaster) and Mikhail Lazarev (the ship master of the second ship “Mirny”) navigated the globe, discovered Antarctica and navigated it twice, and discovered a number of islands and archipelagos in the Southern Ocean and the Pacific.
In memory of that famous navigation a medal was struck in Russia. In 1828 the sloop of war Vostok was excluded from the list of the fleet and dismantled.
An island in Polynesia opened during the expedition, an island and a shore in the Antarctic, an Antarctic research station, a mountain chain on the Mercury were named after the sloop-of-war. According to the established tradition the name Vostok went to one of the biggest research vessels.