This version of the coat of arms was approved in the Soviet Union in 1988.
In the modern version of the coat of arms (since 1997) there is a natural-looking black eagle with a golden crown on his head represented on the gate of the city.
Fastening is on a safety pin. The method of painting is cold enamel.
The pin was made in the USSR in 1989, and has never been reproduced.
A distinctive feature of the rarity version is the image of a logo that does not exist at present – the All-Union Bureau of Travel and Excursions “Tourist”. It was the only tour operator in the USSR.
The pin is a valuable collector’s item.
Orel (Eagle) is a Russian city, located in 382 km to the southeast of Moscow on the confluence of the Ob and the Orlic rivers. Orel is the city of military glory and the first victory salute during the Second World War.
The origin of the name “Orel” is connected with a legend about the events occurred at the basis of the new settlement in 1566. Tzar Ivan IV the Terrible ordered to begin the construction of a town-fortress for protection of the southern borders of the Russian state from attacks of the Crimean Tatars. When the builders started to cut an oak, growing ashore, at the confluence of the two rivers, an eagle flew off the top of the tree. “Here is the owner” – said one of the muzhiks. So, Tzar Ivan ordered to call the the town by the name of the bird.
The City Day is on August, 5. In this day in 1943 Stalin ordered to give a salute in Moscow to the armies released Orel and Belgorod. This salute was the first during the Second World War, therefore Orel and Belgorod became known as the cities of the first salute. In the same order honourable names “Orel” and “Belgorod” for the first time were given to military units which had distinguished themselves in action.
A nuclear underwater rocket cruiser (a part of the Northern fleet of the Russian Navy) is called in honor of the city of Orel. On the fighting cabin its coat of arms is established.