An elongated triangular rounded to the down shield with carved top corners.
The central images of the sleeve patch are – the emblem of the city of Kursk mounted on a golden anchor stock and the waving flag of Russian Navy in the background. Below is a stylized image of the nuclear submarine.
On the curly ribbon at the top of the sleeve patch, there is the name of the ship, written in Slavic font. Below is the abbreviation for “Nuclear-Powered Submarine Missile Cruiser.”
At the core of the sleeve insignia lies the arms of the city of Kursk of 1780, featuring three partridges flying on a blue band topped with the Imperial Crown. The emblem is completed with the Roman numeral XII and the number 94 symbolizing the time of the submarine’s joining to the Navy of Russia in December 1994.
August 12, 2000, the submarine sank in the Barents Sea at depth of 354 feet in the result of an explosion in the torpedo tube and the fire emerged. All 118 members of crew on-board died.
As a result of the lifting operation, 115 bodies of dead sailors of the submarine were found and buried. Three bodies were never found. Potentially malicious ammunition and two nuclear reactors were evacuated from the seabed. The study of the atomarine in a dry dock made it possible to restore the sequence of the tragic events of the last hours of life of the crew with a high degree of precision, as well as to establish the cause of the accident.
The lifting of “Kursk” was the first in the world operation of the raising of a nuclear submarine sunken at depths.