On July 31, 1954 there was made a decision to outfit the “Object-700” on Novaya Zemlya. The organized Northern (Novaya Zemlya) site was subordinated to the USSR Ministry of Defense (the 6th Navy Directorate).
On September 21, 1955, the first Soviet underwater nuclear explosion was produced at the depth of 12 m.
In connection with the establishment of the Test Site and the preparations for the series of air tests, the resettlement of entire civilian population of the archipelago (298 people) to the mainland was undertaken. On March 5, 1958 the “Object-700” was transformed into the State Central Test Site No 6 (for testing nuclear explosives) of the USSR Ministry of Defense.
The first underground nuclear explosion was conducted on September 18, 1964.
From September 21, 1955 to October 24, 1990 (before the announcement of the acting moratorium) 132 nuclear explosions were conducted in the Northern Test Site: 87 air, 1 ground, 2 surface, 3 submarine and 42 underground.
On February 27, 1992 the Novaya Zemlya Test Site was defined as the Central Russian Federation Test Site. In 1998 the Site was handed over to the 12th Main Directorate of the Ministry of Defense (military unit 31600).