A black shield with a red edging, inside of which, on the background of the golden anchor, there are crossed anti-aircraft gun and missile air defense system. In the center of the sleeve patch there is a golden artillery grenade inside the red contour of a quadrangular fortification (fortress).
The anti-aircraft gun is a symbol of defense, the missile – a symbol of combat readiness.
The golden grenade is a symbol of belonging to the Headquarters of the Troops.
The quadrangular fortress symbolizes the main purpose of the Troops – the defense of the coastline.
The red edging of the patch symbolizes belonging to the Russian Navy Coastal Troops.
The decision to form The Navy Coastal Troops as a new modern combat arm was taken in October 1989. It was formed on the basis of the two existing independent arms of the Navy – the Coastal Missile and Artillery Troops and the Marine Corps, with the transfer of the Army formations and units stationed in coast – the Coastal Defense Troops – to the Navy.
The Coastal Troops are designed to protect the fleet, the coastline population and objects from the enemy’s surface ships, sea- and airborne hops. The task of the Coastal Troops is to destroy the ships, boats and vehicles in the area of the arms reach.
The history of the development of the modern Coastal Troops is inextricably linked to the struggle of the Russian people for the outlets to the seas and defense of the coasts from the sea attacks. The efforts made to solve these problems were put together under one common concept – the Coastal Defense, which was transferred to the Naval Forces of the Workers’ and Peasants’ Red Army on March 27, 1930.