At the heart of the emblem of the 106th Guards Tula Airborne Division is the coat of arms of the city of Tula, where the division’s headquarters is located, and the Centaur which combines power and intelligence, courage and cunning of both a man and an animal.
The system of the landing or crews within combat vehicles, which is conventionally called the “Centaur” was first practically tested in this division.
The division was formed in 1944. It has fought in Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia, performed special peacekeeping operations in Sumgait, Baku and other regions of Azerbaijan, Tbilisi, Kyrgyzstan, Transdniestria, North Ossetia and Ingushetia.
In 1992 it provided the rescue of Russian and foreign embassies employees as well as the UN mission in Kabul.
In December 1994 in the midst of street fighting in Grozny the paratroopers of the Tula Division fought near the railway station for several days, pulling over large troops of the militants. Their courage then largely determined the success of the Grozny operation as a whole.
During the Second Chechen war Tula paratroopers freed Dagestan from Basayev’s gangs, crushed the bandits in Gudermes and Vedeno districts of Chechnya.