The black color of the patch symbolizes prudence and constancy, subordination to the General Staff of the Armed Forces.
The elements of the emblem symbolize the Missile and Artillery Troops structure: field guns, towed mortars, howitzers, anti-tank and multiple rocket launchers.
Crossed gun tubes symbolize the historical continuity of Soviet and Russian military traditions of the missile and artillery troops: “Artillery is the god of the war!”
Oak wrench is the symbol of courage, strength, fortitude and valour, loyalty to the military duty.
The Troops were first formed in the Soviet Army, and when the USSR collapsed in 1991, the Troops changed the name from the Soviet to the Russian Missile Troops and Artillery:
“The Missile Troops and Artillery (MT&A) are an Arm of the Land Force, which is the primary means of fire and nuclear destruction of the enemy during conduct of combined-arms operations (combat actions). They are designed to perform the following main tasks:
- achievement and keeping of fire superiority over the enemy;
- defeat of its means of nuclear attack, manpower, weapons, military and special equipment;
- disruption of troops and weapons’ control systems, reconnaissance and electronic warfare;
- destruction of long-term defence installations and other infrastructure;
- disruption of operational and military logistics;
- weakening and isolation of the second echelons and reserves of the enemy;
- destruction of tanks and other armoured vehicles of the enemy breaking into the depth of defence;
- cover of open flanks and junctions;
- participation in destruction of aircraft and amphibious assault forces of the enemy;
- remote mining of areas and facilities;
- light support of night actions of troops;
- smoke-screening, blinding of enemy targets;
- distribution of propaganda materials, etc.
Organisationally the MT&A consist of missile, rocket, artillery brigades, including high-power mixed, artillery battalions, rocket artillery regiments, separate reconnaissance battalions, as well as artillery of combined-arms brigades and military bases.
Further development and increase of combat capabilities of the MT&A of the Land Force are put into life by means of creating reconnaissance-fire units, including on interim basis, ensuring defeat of targets in real time, equipment of formations and units of the MT&A with high-precision weapons, increasing of firing range and power of the ammunition used, and automation of processes for preparation and firing.”// Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation