The date of the foundation of the Russian Dog Service is considered June 21, 1909, when the first Russia’s kennel and dog training school was opened in St. Petersburg.
During the Soviet times (USSR) a special dog training system aimed at developing guarding-protective skills needed in detention, escort and protection of the detainee, when searching drugs and explosives, as well as in anti-terrorist operations, was developed in the country.
Despite significant technical advances, dogs remain indispensable helpers of law enforcement, effectively helping to protect public order and disclose most complicated crimes.
The service dogs occupy a special place in the Russian Interior Ministry Troops: no engineer reconnaissance team, as a part of the united forces in the North Caucasus, does not go on a combat mission without a handler with a well-trained mine detecting dog. A handler and a sapper complement each other, and a dog’s great power of scent will help in a situation when a minesweeper is powerless.
The Alsatian (German shepherd) is the main breed of dogs used to defend the State Border.
There are several categories of service dogs in the Border Service of Russian FSB:
investigative – for detection, prosecution and detention of the offenders;
patrol – used as a means to enhance border details at night or in low visibility conditions, can be used as investigative;
guard – to protect military camps and other facilities;
special – to search narcotic substances;
special – to search explosives, weapons and ammunition;
mine detection – used in regions with difficult operational situation.
Special Forces is the military elite of any country. A striking example of this is the legendary 25th Spetsnaz Detachment “Mercury”. The entire history of the military unit is connected with the constant use of working dogs.
During the first Chechen campaign, it carried out combat missions as a part of the Grozny city military commandant’s offices, participated in counter-separatist operations. There was always a cynologist with a dog ahead of the group, and it was he who became the object of the hunt for the bandits, it was a handler who took a constant fire risk for his own life and the life of his canine friend.
It is impossible to count the amount of bombs they found and lives they saved. And very few people know that the money paid for killing a handler with a dog exceeded the premium for a Spetsnaz officer!
COLLECTIONView all patches in collection
The sleeve patch of the Siberian Cossacks. Approved in 1997.
Siberian Cossack Host is governmental paramilitary unit in Siberia, which also includes the territory of the North and East Kazakhstan.
It was formed immediately after joining Siberia to Muscovy under Ivan the Terrible on December 6, 1582.
The Siberian Cossacks carried military service in exchange for land and partial autonomy.
The central headquarters of the Siberian Cossack Host is located in the city of Omsk.
A fashion-style button of a silvery metal with a shank. The diameter of 55/64 inch (22 mm).
On the front is a relief image of the Russian Imperial Emblem of the 1883 standard. On the back side – protrusion with a single hole to sew the button to the clothes.
The prototype of the Emblem is the seal of the Russian Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich (Alexis I) adopted in 1667.