The “Botik of Peter the Great” is the grandfather of the Russian fleet. It was a child’s passion of Tsar Peter that turned Russia into a powerful maritime nation and laid the foundation for domestic shipbuilding.
The “Botik of Peter the Great”, also called “St. Nicholas”, was a miniaturized scaled-down warship discovered by Tsar Peter at the Royal Izmaylovo Estate in 1688. It was repaired by Karshten Brandt, and Peter learned to sail using the boat on waters near Moscow. It was stored in the Moscow Kremlin by Peter and later enshrined in St. Petersburg. Tsar Peter continued to use it in state ceremonies and ordered that the boat be sailed down the Neva River on August, 30 annually. It was also used in state ceremonies of later monarchs of Russia, including the wedding of Catherine the Great and Peter III, as well as the centenary of St. Petersburg. In the 1760s Empress Catherine built a boathouse to store the legendary boat.
The boat became less important under the Soviet rule, along with other cherished objects of the Russian Empire; however, the surge of patriotism raised during the outbreak of the World War I led to the renewal of the significance of Peter the Great and the Botik along with him. The Boat was enshrined to the Central Soviet Naval Museum where it remains to present day. In 1997 the Boat left Russia for the first time to be exhibited in the World Financial Center.
The series of the pins “The History of the Russian Fleet” was produced in the USSR in the late 1980s concurrently with the series of postage stamps of the same name. It has never been reproduced.
At present the number of the pins is limited and the series is considered to be a valuable collection.
COLLECTIONView all badges in collection
“Shooner St. Anna” is a pin from the rare series “Russia Sets Sail”.
The Schooner was initially used by British travelers, then by the Russian Polar Expedition of 1912 under Brusilov’s command. The Expedition was organised with the mission to sail through the Northern Sea Route that had never ever been done by anyone before. The vessel was reported missing in 1914.
The text on the pin reads: “Schooner St. Anna”, 1912”.
Rare metal pin made of aluminum alloy in the form of the coat of arms of the city of Barysaw from the times of the Belorussian Soviet Socialist Republic.
There are silver gates between two fortress towers on the red shield of the coat of arms. Above there is a foundation date of the city – 1102. The extremity of the coat of arms is green. It shows the silver wavy lines – the symbol of the Berezina River. The coat of arms is edged with a narrow silver rim.
The pin was made in the USSR in the late 1980s, and has never been reproduced.
Rare metal pin “45 Years of the Victory 1945-1990” is made of aluminum alloy.
The pin represents a rectangular heraldic shield rounded at the tip.
In the field of the shield there is the sign of the Order of the Patriotic War with a laurel branch and a figured ribbon with the anniversary date on it “1945-1990″.
The pin was made in the USSR in 1990 and was never reproduced.