The naval flag of the USSR represents a white cloth with a blue strip going along the lower selvage of the flag. In the left part there is a red five-point star turned up. In the right part of the cloth there are crossed sickle and hammer of red color – the symbol of unity of the workers and peasants.
Down the relief image of the ship stands the text: “Light Cruiser”. Over the figured ribbon stands her name: “Kirov”.
All the pins from the series are made of aluminum alloy with the safety pin fastening. The method of painting is cold enamel.
“Kirov” is the Soviet light artillery cruiser. She was named after Sergei Kirov, a famous statesman and politician of that time.
She was launched on November 30th, 1936 and excluded from the fleet in 1974. The body of the ship was divided into 19 main watertight compartments, so that the she could keep afloat in case of flooding of any three of her compartments.
The Cruiser took part in the Russo-Finnish War. On June 22, 1941 she lied out in Riga.
She also took part in the defense of Tallinn. The participation of the cruiser “Kirov” with her 7-inch guns allowed the troops retreating from the Baltic lands to consolidate their grip on the line of defense and hold up the German advance on Leningrad.
On February 27, 1943 the Cruiser was awarded the Order of the Red Banner for the exemplary performance of the operational missions in the fight against the Nazi invaders, for the courage demonstrated and the bravery of the crew.
In June, 1944, during the Vyborg-Petrozavodsk operation, from the position in the Leningrad Port, the Cruiser’s artillery made its last salvos in the war (on the “Mannerheim Line”).
Until 1974 the veteran cruiser regularly carried campaigns through the Baltic Sea with the Navy cadets aboard. It repeatedly visited ports in Poland and GDR. After her exclusion from the Navy two of the bow artillery towers were placed in Leningrad as a memorial to the ship – protector of the city. One of her universal weapons was set as a monument in the park named after the 28 Panfilov’s guardsmen in Alma-Ata (Kazakhstan).